Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Golden Head

As many people were, I was watching the women's soccer game yesterday, USA vs. Canada. What an amazing game it was! I won't say too much about the actual plays of the game because it wouldn't do it justice, but that might have been the header that propels the US to another gold medal. You had to see it! It was a historical match, and I'll leave it that.

What was so amazing was Team USA's resolve. They kept coming back just like they did in the World Cup. What an incredible group of women they are. With moments like these, people start to look up to them and put them on a pedestal. While that is a good thing, we have all heard that too much of a good thing can be bad. What people sometimes forget is that they are just people like you and me.

As wonderful and spectacular as sports moments like this may seem at the time, it is just a game. Watching the game with my brother and seeing his reaction and our combined excitement makes me think about how amazed Jesus' disciples must have felt when Jesus was resurrected. If we can be so excited, shocked, and joyful after seeing the US do what seemed to be impossible in a soccer game, how much more joyous they must have felt seeing Jesus raised from the grave! How extraordinary a moment that must have been!

I originally was just going to write about the soccer game, but thinking about it as I started writing kind of got me thinking. Surprise! By thinking, it got me thinking. I do believe that it is moments like these that can really connect us with God. They help us to see the "impossible" become possible. As society, culture, and technology changes, emotions are transgenerational. What we feel today, the original disciples and even Jesus himself felt. As a huge sports fan myself, I know the kind of emotional turmoil they can play on us. They can tap into our emotions like few other things. Think of a moment like yesterday where you're favorite team is down and all but out, and they pull off the win at the last minute. You go from borderline depressed to overwhelming joy. That must be precisely how Jesus' followers must have felt following his crucifixion. They were down and all but out, and then Jesus rose! Hallelujah!!

I hope I expressed my thoughts clearly enough. I was having a tough time getting it out. God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment