Sunday, October 28, 2012

Haunted Corn Maze

So Halloween is just around the corner, so last night I went to a haunted corn maze with a bunch of awesome people. After several wrong turns, u-turns, and driving out into the middle of some guy's farm, we finally got there. Like most haunted attractions, there was a guy wielding a chainsaw. Of course being the stud of a guy that I am, I was not frightened. It was a great night! Later I got to thinking about the chainsaw and drew an analogy from it.

Of course the chainsaw they used did not have the bladed chain on it. That got me thinking about how a lot of Christians aren't wielding a blade. A chainsaw, as it was originally made, is useless without the blade. Try and cut all you want, but you will never get anywhere. Essentially it is turned into a noise maker. In order for us as Christians to have our blades, we must spend time in the Word and in prayer everyday. Those are essentially the only two means we have to communicate and hear from God. To dismiss them is to drop our blade. Those are the people that make a lot of noise, but aren't necessarily accomplishing anything. They are trying to do it all on their own without realizing that they can't do anything without God. He is the source of our power and strength! We must return to him each and everyday to renew that strength.

What happens if you have a very sporadic quiet time (or as Pete might call it, "Passion Time"), and it's not a priority in your life. Maybe you put your desires ahead of God's will and align yourself more with the world than with God. Your blade just won't be as sharp. It's gonna dull out, and it won't take long. Trying to cut down a tree with a dull blade is a lot of work. It won't be long before you are worn out and just can't go any longer. That is why we need to spend time each day putting our chains on the saw and "sharpening" our blades.

Lately I have experienced the effects of this. I've been so wrapped up in so many things with friends and school that I have skipped out on my quiet times several times this past week. Because of this, even though I am out having fun with friends, at the end of the day, I just feel run down and unsatisfied.

At the time it may seem like an inconvenience to have to sharpen your blade everyday. You feel like your still good from the day before, but I promise you that you will NEVER think to yourself, "You know self. I wish I wouldn't have wasted all that time reading the Bible and praying." You will NEVER regret time spent with God sharpening your blade.

No comments:

Post a Comment