Thursday, October 4, 2012

Final Destination

Are you more afraid of going to Hell than you are excited to go to Heaven? It's a very simple question that I think reveals a lot.

I know for me when I was younger, it was the first of those two. By younger, I mean up through high school. I didn't really understand the gospel and God. I had been to church since I was about seven years old, but I hated every second of it and hardly ever payed attention. That really shows in my answer to the question.

I think for those that answer yes to the first question, there is a lack of understanding. That was most certainly the case for me, so I will ask another question. What makes Hell Hell? Why is it such a bad place, and why is Heaven such a great place we all want to end up? The answer is quite simple. God dwells in Heaven, while Satan dwells in Hell.

What it ends up coming down to is this. Do you wake up everyday longing to be with God? Are you looking forward to the day when you can be standing with God no matter when that day may come? Or are you looking at it from the other side? Maybe you are content with this life, but aren't sure what happens after death. You hear a lot about Heaven and Hell. Maybe you're kind of sitting at the edge of the pool just testing the waters. You're not submersed in the Gospel and living a life for God, but instead you're just trying to do enough to avoid Hell. That used to be me. What changed? I joined Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship at the start of my first year at UVA, and my eyes were opened. I am no longer testing the waters of God's mercy and love. I dived in and am now submersed in it, and there is no greater feeling.

So again I ask you. Are you more afraid of going to Hell than you are excited to go to Heaven?

No comments:

Post a Comment