Saturday, December 8, 2012

Overflow



Spirit of the Living God come fall afresh on me.
Come wake me from my sleep.
Blow through the caverns of my soul.
Pour in me to overflow,
to overflow

This song along with the chorus really has had a huge impact on me this year. They played this song during the fall retreat this year at a time where I really needed to hear it. I was really at a dry period where I was really struggling with my quiet time and just wasn't feeling that joyful. It took a while to get back on track, but I do think this song helped me a lot.

So I was thinking about the idea of God pouring into us to overflow. What does that mean? What does that look like? That led me to extending the metaphor a little bit. We are like a vase, and God is the eternal source of flowing water. God is ALWAYS pouring onto us, but it's up to us to determine how much we actually receive. We determine the size of our mouth. The larger our mouth, the more of God's abounding grace and love we are able to receive. To put it simply, to enlarge our mouths, we must spend time with God. There is no special trick to it. We also have to consider our walls. Nobody is perfect. We all have cracks in our vase. These cracks can also hinder us from receiving God's love. Some of it leaks out and prevents us from filling up. The only way to mend our cracks is to take a long hard look at ourselves. We must look at things that we might be holding onto unnecessarily such as idols or sin. Idols being just something that we spend too much time with, and sin being things that oppose God's will. In order to mend these cracks and open up our mouth, we must die to ourselves and live for God. We must turn our hearts, minds, and bodies toward God and align our will and desires with God's will and desires.

If we do that, we will be able to receive the full abundance of love that God intended for us and not only that. We will begin to overflow into the people around us, and that should be our goal. We should not be content with our own salvation, but our heart should be turned towards others salvation, towards the world's salvation. Now THAT should be our goal. THAT is God's goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment